Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Flicker of Red for Tuesday...

At first glance, I thought I was seeing a Woodcock. They frequent our yard on a regular basis, so I didn't get too excited with the sighting.


But...
As it hopped closer and closer toward the house, I realized the bird had a red cap.

Hummm...
Out came my Field Guide to North American Birds for identification! It's markings told me it wasn't a Red-headed woodpecker or a Pileated woodpecker.

Ahhhh...
Here it is! The markings are exactly like the picture shown. It must be a Ladder-backed woodpecker!

But...
Something just didn't seem right: The Ladder-back was common in the southwest. I reasoned that, like humans, they could become a little off course and he was making the best of the surroundings around him.

Hummm...
Off he flew. Another clue. In flight, his white rump was obvious. Back to my Field Guide.

Ahhhh...
A positive identification! I was certain I was watching a Common Flicker, which is the only woodpecker in North America that commonly feeds on the ground. They are also the only brown-backed woodpeckers found in the East.

His red cap may not be very big, but just enough to qualify for Ruby Tuesday and I was happy that he (and his mate) hung around for a few days.

You might not spot a Flicker where you are, but you'll find plenty of red over at Mary's Work of the Poet.


6 comments:

  1. We have the northern flicker here and they have such lovely markings, red with just a touch of yellow and the most heavenly round black marking on their breasts. One of my favorite woodpeckers... I do believe they are in the same division with the woodpeckers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the first time I saw a flicker. I was just a kid on my bike but I stopped me in my tracks. Firsts are great. A~

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a persistent birdwatcher--not content until you have made a positive ID!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful woodpecker. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the info - I've never seen one.

    I've given you an award - check out:

    http://bunnysgirl.blogspot.com/2009/06/most-lovely-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. dear barb...i think that just this little glimmer of red is just perfect for a ruby tuesday,
    such a splendid looking bird and what a feeling it must have been.... such a thrill to you as he was right in front of your face waiting for you to take a picture, and what a feeling of loss when he flew away!
    i think that this was a nice ruby tuesday post, especially the description of the woodpecker..
    love terry

    ReplyDelete