Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Sweeeeeeeet...

The Honey Locust.

So named for the sweet tasting pulp of it's mature pods, which is fodder for grazing animals such as cattle and horses.


Their cream-colored blossoms appear in late spring and are strongly scented, giving good reason to linger along the roadside and indulge in their offering. I had a hard time convincing myself that I should leave my vantage point and head up over the mountain for home!



If ever there was a time to invent a scratch-and-sniff feature on Blogger, this would be it! Their scent is second only to that of a Stargazer Lily.


The wood of the Honey Locust is sturdy and highly resistant to rot, therefore is useful in the making of fence posts and rails.

So... they not only provide good eating for the cattle, they also are helpful in keeping them in the cafeteria! How cool is that?

B:-)

3 comments:

  1. How beautiful...I wish I could smell the blossoms. And useful as well as gorgeous; it just doesn't get any better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shots Barb. I think I can smell them from here.
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pretty cool i would say barb!
    some fancy sweet smelling cafeteria!
    we have the honey locust here in southern ontario too and the one good thing is that they stick around for a good length of time!
    really nice pix barb...love terry

    ReplyDelete