Saturday, April 4, 2009

Maple Buds and Tiny Bubbles...

In this area, the Maple trees have set bud. Therefore, the collection of sap has come to an end for this season.

Once the trees have their new buds, the sap is bitter and if used in Maple Syrup production, the syrup will take on a burned butterscotch taste. Not exactly a good selling point.

This tree had not been tapped, but sap was seeping naturally from part way up it's trunk, puddling at the base. At first glance, it looked like a small amount of snow that was refusing to melt away!


What a surprise I had when I stepped closer.
Bubbles.
Who would have ever guessed?

Click on the photo to catch how beautiful the colors are and if you look real close, you can see the reflection of the amateur photographer!
That was a surprise too.


Simple surprises to make a simple day, simply sweet.

3 comments:

  1. You have such big beautiful trees. The trees in my area are not so strong...not the climbing type. The bubbles are so cool. What a treat to find. They tap the birch trees here to make syrup. I tried it once (at my old house) and actual got a little liquid. But I did too little too late to actually make something. Maybe another time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool. I love the big trees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! I indeed loved the colors within the photo.

    ReplyDelete