Thursday, April 30, 2009

Dirt Digging Day...

Yesterday.
Wednesday, April 29.
A gorgeous day to be outside.


There is a lot of clean-up to be done after the long winter months and I've been patient as long as possible. It still might be a little too soon, but I'm ready to get the process under motion.

Digging in the dirt has a way of putting your mind back on track, if you're so inclined to let it: Close-up and personal with the simple things that Mother Nature has intended for us to enjoy.

As I clean decaying leaves away from tiny plants, just barely emerging from the yet cool earth, my heart always skips a beat. Each year, I'm amazed at their resilience.

The old saying about Perennials is true:
The first year... they sleep.
The second year... they creep.
The third year... they leap!

And so it is... I have Perennials leaping all over the place!



I never know where I'll find the Ladies Mantle (better known as Dew Plant). They are a very invasive plant and will take over the entire flower bed, if allowed their own agenda! Dew drops can be found on their leaves most of the time, hence their nickname and are pretty while small. Mid-summer, they produce chartreuse-colored flowers on long stems that fall over with the least amount of wind or rain. I usually cut them back so they don't look so haggard.


As I was doing some edging, I couldn't help but think that even my flower beds are going to be affected this year by the World economy. There was a time when I just picked up the phone, dialed my mulch-man and asked him to deliver a load of his best double-ground bark as soon as possible. When he showed up, I wrote him a check without hesitation.

That isn't going to happen this year! I'll just fluff up the old mulch, wish the little flowers my very best and try to keep the weeds to a minimum.

Whaaa Laaa... just saved $170!

Jury duty tomorrow.
Wish me luck.

Try to find joy in your dirt!

2 comments:

  1. I cant wait to get into my garden, the snows finally all melted, hopefully its gone now for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's dirt digging time here too. I put it off just so long, and then I must get at it. Gives you satisfaction though.
    Have a wonderful week.
    B.

    ReplyDelete